Know About Different Types of Migraines and Their Best Remedies
A migraine is an intense and extremely painful type of a headache that is common both in children and adults. The gruelling pain during migraines can last for a few hours to a few days. Migraines start with an array of sensory disturbances followed by serious, usually one-sided headaches.
Types of Migraines
Migraines are broadly classified into two types:
- Migraines with Aura: Also known as the complicated or classic migraines, the attacks are typically preceded by visual disturbances and other neurological syndromes. The headaches can occur anytime and the pain lasts for almost an hour. These migraines cause nausea, muscle weakness, increased sensitivity, abnormal sensations, and loss of appetite.
- Migraines without Aura: These are also known as the common migraines and are generally characterised by acute pulsating headaches that occur on one side of the head. Migraines with aura cause nausea, blurred vision, fatigue, and increased sensitivity. These attacks mostly last for a few hours and can deteriorate with symptomatic medication.
Other types of migraines include:
- Abdominal Migraines: These types of migraines are common in children and are characterised by a severe pain in the abdomen. Vomiting and nausea are accompanied by these migraines.
- Retinal Migraines: Also known as the ocular migraines, these are retinal diseases that affect only one eye. These migraines can occur with or without headaches.
- Hormonal Migraines: These migraines are also known as the menstrual migraines and occur typically in women. Hormonal migraines occur due to falling oestrogen levels in the body.
- Basilar Migraines: Basilar migraines are characterised by headaches occurring in the lower part of the brain, which is the brainstem. These migraines cause vision problems, dizziness, and lack of coordination.
- Hemiplegic Migraines: Hemiplegic migraine attacks strike as a paralysis of one side of the body. You may experience symptoms similar to that of a stroke. These migraines last for a few hours to a day and can cause speech and vision problems.
Best Ways to Cure Migraines
Migraines can be treated by several natural and ayurvedic remedies. Some of the most common solutions are discussed below:
1. Herbal Solutions: There are several herbal remedies for migraines. Some of them include:
- Feverfew: Feverfew is a perennial herb traditionally used for treating migraines. Its anti-inflammatory, anaesthetic, and tranquillizing properties help to reduce migraines.
- Ginger: Ginger’s anti-inflammatory and healing qualities are useful for curing chronic migraines.
- Basil: The healing properties of basil serve as muscle relaxants and stimulate the body mechanisms. Its analgesic qualities relieve migraine headaches to a great extent.
2. Ayurvedic Remedies: According to Ayurveda, the main cause of migraines is the increment of pitta levels in our body. There are a number of Ayurvedic remedies for migraines that can be considered:
- The first and foremost way is to maintain a proper diet. Avoid spicy and fried foods, citrus fruits, and fermented foods that aggravate the pitta levels in your body.
- Drink adequate water and eat lots of fresh fruits and green vegetables. Include magnesium in your diet.
- Avoid excessive white sugar intake, caffeinated drinks, alcohol, and drugs.
- You can also use herbal oil massages using bhringraj or peppermint oils to reduce the pain.
- Stimulate your digestion and metabolism through regular exercises.
- Prevent yourselves from direct exposure to the sun as the pitta affliction is stimulated by sunlight.
- Relax your mind and body through meditation and yoga to relieve stress induced migraines.
3. Home Remedies: There are several home recipes that serve as natural remedies for migraines :
- Drink a solution of one tablespoon of apple cedar vinegar and one tablespoon of honey added to a glass water. This works wonders in reducing migraines.
- A peppermint tea is also beneficial for calming migraine symptoms.
The above-mentioned natural, herbal, and ayurvedic treatments for migraines are sure shot ways to cure and relieve the pain.